Health Workforce Innovations in Response to the COVID Pandemic
COVID-19 Support for Essential Workers - Earning $3,000/month or less
Workers may require financial support during the pandemic.
This program is intended to provide a temporary wage top-up to essential workers employed during the PEI Public Health State of Emergency due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Eligible employees earning $3,000 per month or less will receive a one-time payment of $1,000, administered through their employer.
Eligible PEI employers include any business or organization including for-profit, non-profit, public sector or other entity providing goods and services, deemed to be providing an essential service as defined by the PEI Chief Public Health Office as of May 11, 2020. This includes:
- Dental, optometrists, ophthalmologist, physical therapy, occupational therapy, podiatry, and other regulated health professionals - only to provide urgent care
- Healthcare operations
- Urgent care/support worker
Once an employer submits a completed application package, a Skills PEI Program Officer will contact you to review and discuss your application.
- Eligible employers can request assistance under the program to provide a $1,000 payment to eligible employees who: have earnings $3,000 /month or less (gross) in a consecutive four-week period during the program eligibility period from April 6, 2020 through to July 26, 2020; have an hourly wage of $18.75/hr or less; and have worked a minimum of 60 hours during the selected four week period (Note, the eligible employees must have worked the minimum required hours prior to receiving payment under the program);
- Program eligibility period is from April 6, 2020 through to July 26, 2020;
- Employers are required to provide eligible employees with a one-time $1,000 payment;
- Employers will also be eligible for 10% administrative costs to cover the Mandatory Employer Related Costs (MERC’s).